Saturday, January 23, 2016

Can't justify it

The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”" Genesis 3:12,13


As I served my husband his morning coffee yesterday I said, "You know you really should thank me. If I didn't run, you would have nothing to drink your coffee out of." We both laughed as he lifted the St. Louis Marathon mug to his lips knowing our cabinet contained many more of them from various other races. Any way to justify my races I thought (as if I needed a reason). But when it comes to our sin, isn't that what you and I try to do? Try and justify it by explaining it away, blaming someone else or giving a reason why "it's not that bad"?

It didn't take long for mankind to begin this justification cycle either. In fact, the third chapter of Genesis records the first of many. When God asked Adam whether he had eaten the forbidden fruit, Adam blamed his actions on Eve saying, "she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then when he questioned Eve, she tried to explain away her actions by saying, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." They knew they were wrong but rather than admit their guilt and ask for forgiveness, they tried to justify their sin. 

There is never a reason to sin no matter how we try to explain it away, rationalize it to ourselves or keep it hidden from others. God knew the moment Adam and Eve sinned and he sees even those things done in the dark. So today, if there's some sin that you may be struggling with, may we humble ourselves before the Lord, admit that we are wrong and ask for forgiveness. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your word that tells us exactly what is right and wrong and for your Holy Spirit that leads us to do your will and convicts us when we stray. Help us to admit when we have sinned Lord rather than make excuses for it and to ask for forgiveness that there might be nothing between us. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Holding nothing back - Ryan Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment