Sunday, October 18, 2015

Dogwood Canyon 2015

"To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne." Revelation 3:21


What a great weekend of running it was at the Dogwood Canyon Nature Park in Lampe, MO (right outside of Branson). With 10,000 acres to explore, it was a little piece of heaven for hundreds of runners doing the 15k run Saturday and/or the 25k or 50k trail run Sunday. Fall is a beautiful time to experience the Ozarks with it's cool mornings and array of trees changing colors and, there's perhaps no better vantage point to do that than on foot deep in the hills, trails and streams at Dogwood. This challenging race keeps runners coming back year after year. In fact, I've already marked my calendar for 2016.

This course, much like life, has it's easy parts, hard parts and downright "kick you in the pants" parts. Within a few miles of starting the race, while navigating a water crossing and near the side of an embankment, a large rock rolled down and struck my ankle bone (ouch!). Later, there were rocky and difficult patches, massive hills and long stretches between aid stations. This was certainly no race for those runners not committed to making it to the finish line. And when it comes to reaching our final destination, the same is true. Acts 14:22 warns us that, "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,". It's only by being completely devoted to the goal of entering that we will push through to the end, through difficult times, hills, hurdles and maybe even long periods of hardships and pain, that we will make it.

While the runners that finished Dogwood claimed their medals, shirts and hoodies, the bible tells us that there is a much greater reward awaiting those of us that are committed to crossing that final finish line saying, "To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne." Can there be any greater reason to press on?

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us. Thank you for the beautiful display of who you are in the changing of the leaves, the coolness of the morning and the rising of the sun. May we be so committed to reaching the finish line that we push through every trial, hardship and painful circumstance that we encounter along our journey as we pursue the ultimate victory of an eternity spent with you. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

The Victory - Third Day


Before the 15k Saturday with my awesome friend, Sherry Wilson


After the 50k Sunday with my family

No comments:

Post a Comment