Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The reminder

"And, "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Corinthians 6:18


My daughter's fifth grade gym class has been preparing to take a fitness test. To achieve the coveted presidential award she so wants, my daughter must be able to run four laps around the school (and a few other things). With every mention of it last week and yesterday, she panicked and asked if she could stay home from school or if she could just drop out of school completely. Fighting laughter,  I gently reminded her that she could accomplish this goal. After all, I told her, she had just run a 5k with me the previous weekend. She smiled and said, "I will remind myself that I am the daughter of Melissa the runner and I can do it." I grinned from ear to ear and replied, "Better yet, why don't you remind yourself who's daughter you truly are?" With that knowledge and a new found confidence, I watched her walk into her school ready to take that test.

As parents, we certainly want the best for our children and would do anything to help them, wouldn't you agree? Unfortunately though, we can't always be there. But there is a Father who can and will be with us and with them through it all... the Lord Almighty. In 2 Corinthians 6:18, he gives us this promise, "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters." Win or lose, He is there. He is our Comforter, Encourager and our Provider of strength. 

With that knowledge, there's no reason to be afraid, anxious or worried then. Remind yourself that you are the son or daughter of the Most High. Then, with confidence, step out to conquer those things holding you back. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would choose to make us your sons and daughters. It's comforting to know that, just as we watch over our own children and want the best for them, you do the same for us. Help us to remember that when the things of this world make us anxious or scared. Thank you for always being there. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Shake the world - Finding Favour

No comments:

Post a Comment