Thursday, April 30, 2015

The picture

"Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." Hebrews 10:24-25

Pastor Mark Morrison, his daughter Grace and Luke at the finish line




A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes. As explained by Wikipedia, it refers to the notion that a complex idea can be conveyed with just a single still image. This picture was captured at the end of a 50 mile race last Saturday. It is a picture of love, friendship and most importantly, the grace and unfailing love of God. With 15 miles left to go in the race, I began praying. I was tired. Everything that could have gone wrong had gone wrong and I just wanted to be finished. I prayed that, by some miracle, God would send someone to run with me.

Have you ever prayed those prayers? The desperate ones you really don't think will be answered but you do it anyway? My friends (who ran the shorter distances offered) had long since finished their own races and were probably home by now I told myself, just keep going. As the miles passed by and fatigue became my newest companion, the prayers increased. Lord, please help me. I couldn't believe my eyes as I neared the final water station! There stood the Morrison family smiling and cheering me on as I fought back the tears. My prayers were indeed answered as Luke ran the last five miles with me.

When the rest of the family joined us to cross the finish line, I felt a renewed strength and a renewed spirit. God cared enough to answer a prayer from a trail deep in the woods. And He cares so much for you and me that He gave us friends... friends whose actions say more than a thousand words ever could. Oh praise God for caring friends. If you are blessed with them, won't you take a moment to tell them today? 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many many blessings you have given us. We have the freedom to join together wherever we may be to worship You. Let us never take that for granted. Remind us that Godly friendships are a gift from you to motivate and encourage one another. Remind us to cherish them and to remind our friends often that they are loved and appreciated. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

This is amazing Grace - Phil Wickham
From L-R (Matthew, Jackie, Pastor Mark, Luke, Gracie)



No comments:

Post a Comment