Thursday, April 23, 2015

Children of God

"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him." 1 John 3:1


While speaking to my son Luke about his track meet, I told him that I was very proud of him and that I really enjoyed watching him run. To which he responded, "But why Mom? I did terrible." I told him that my love for him was not, nor would never be, based upon his performance. And because he did his best, I was proud no matter where he placed in the race. God's love for us is much the same. But too many times we walk around feeling unworthy of that love because we didn't win, didn't get the promotion or didn't live up to someone's expectations of us. We doubt God's love for us saying, "But why God? I did terrible."

Nowhere in the bible does it say that we have to be perfect to receive His perfect love for us. In fact, Romans 5:8 tells us that, "God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." and John 1:12 says "Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--"  His love for us is not based on our accomplishments. He loves us because we have received him, believed in his name and are now "his children". 

If you have never experienced this kind of unconditional love, it is available to all those who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. It will certainly be the best decision you will ever make. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us at our worst and for sending your son Jesus to die on the cross for sinners like me. I pray that anyone wanting to become a child of God would simply pray this prayer: Father, I know I am a sinner. I am sorry for the things I have done and I ask for forgiveness. I confess that you are the one true God and I accept you as my Lord and Savior right now. Thank you Jesus for making me one of your dearly loved "children". It's in your most precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Third Day - Children of God


No comments:

Post a Comment