Wednesday, April 15, 2015

For future generations

"He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach their children,so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children." Psalm 78:5-6


It would probably come as no surprise if I told you that I love to run, would it? You could say that I have loved it since the day I discovered it. You see, my father was a runner. As I was growing up, I watched him and the joy he got from the sport. I loved the stories he would tell me about what happened on his runs... how far he had traveled and what he had experienced. It seemed, to a child, that running was something that made a person happy. After all, he was always happiest when he would return. As much as I am grateful to my father for inspiring me to embrace this gift, I wish he had taken the same time and effort to teach me about Jesus. Perhaps he didn't teach me because he couldn't though... because it wasn't on his heart?

The bible is very clear about our job as parents. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, "These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Our first priority is, and should always be, to have our hearts set on God. It's only then that we can teach our children about Him. If we don't know Him personally and know his commandments, we certainly can't impress them upon our children.

Just like with running though, it's never too late to get started. If you haven't told your children about Christ and his commandments yet, do it today. Tell them about the things that really matter so that, "the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children." What a way to change the world... one generation at a time. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your instructions that help us raise a future generation of believers. Help us, as parents, to never compromise or water down our faith so that our children will not only hear about God and his commandments but so they may see them lived out. Help us Lord, to be the Godly parents you have called us to be. Help us to remember that being that Godly parent doesn't mean we need to be perfect, we only need to be actively running after you each and every day.  It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

For future generations - 4Him

No comments:

Post a Comment