Sunday, March 17, 2024

Be Anxious for Nothing

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 BSB 



As I started the third loop of Saturday’s Grasslands 100 mile trail run, I was keenly aware of the incoming weather as was my crew (having put a rain parka in the back of my hydration vest before sending me off) and all the other runners out on the course. “Oh Lord,” I prayed. “If it’s not Your will to move the storm out, please bring us all safely through it.” No sooner had I finished that prayer, I heard the rumblings of thunder begin followed by cracks of lightning that would continue for several hours. But even though there was absolutely nowhere to go for safety and I was miles from an aid station in either direction and running in and out of open fields, I was strangely calm as I continued to press on. And although I knew it wouldn’t be easy to finish now as the Texas sand turned into a slick “axle grease” type thick mud after just a few minutes, rendering the trail nearly impossible to navigate, I trusted God to get me to the other side. Something I was thankful He allowed me to share with Anne (I later came to know her name) who, as she caught up with me said, “My heart rate is so high right now. This lightning and rain is really scaring me. I’ve already fallen twice in the mud and it’s just getting worse.” “Are you a believer?” I asked her. To which she replied, “Yes I am.” “Then you have nothing to fear,” I said smiling. 

And you know, when it comes to storms, the Bible is very clear that we will all face them. But we don’t have to fear them. You see, as Paul clearly knew, when we bring our requests to God “by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,” He will give us the perfect peace that only He can provide. This is the tranquility a believer who seeks Jesus with their whole heart will experience in the midst of troubles, trials and tempests rather than in the absence of them—surpassing all understanding because it goes contrary to common sense and what the reality of our situation says we should be experiencing. But we have no reason to fear! Ever. Because, whether on this side or the next, God will deliver us safely through the storm. 

So no matter what dark clouds might be looming over you today, take heart and continue to press on my friend. “Present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” That’s a promise you can count on. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that You are still on the throne, and that nothing happens to us that’s out of Your control. Help us to trust You Lord when we’re going through the storms of life, knowing that all the adversity we face will draw us closer to You and that one day we will be with You. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment