Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Watch out for Pride

“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”Proverbs 11:2 NIV



Ten years ago yesterday, according to my Facebook memories, I made this post “Oh my. Dropped my car off at the shop with the intentions of running the 6 miles home. Within minutes the roads were so icy I could not cross parking lots and the grassy parts were freezing. I had to just stop where I was and pray I could get home. Thank you Jamie Wilkerson for stopping and taking me home. Almost slid into the driveway. This girl is praising God and grateful this morning and slapping herself for being so stupid.” A decade later, I’m still grateful! Not just for God’s hand of protection on that day that saved me from disaster (I was literally stranded on a patch of grass waiting for help) but for the lesson it taught me… pride will keep a person from heeding warnings. The weatherman said to take precautions because the sleet would move in fast but I thought I could beat it. 

And you know, when it comes to extreme arrogance, the Bible tells us that “When pride comes, then comes disgrace” which means that the person who sees no need for God and believes themselves to be the master of their own fate will have an inflated ego that will lead them to engage in dishonorable behaviors that will ultimately lead to the loss of their reputation, relationships and any respect they had. On the flip side, when the prideful learn from and are humbled (brought to a proper knowledge that God is all powerful and they are not) by their mistakes, there “comes wisdom” and soundness of mind. 

So in the words of J.C. Ryle, “ Let us watch against pride in every shape - pride of intellect, pride of wealth, pride in our own goodness, pride in our own deserts. Nothing is so likely to keep a man out of heaven, and prevent him seeing Christ, as pride. So long as we think we are something, we shall never be saved.”

Heavenly Father, thank You making it clear that pride is very destructive and, if left unchecked and unrepented of, can lead to our destruction in more ways than one. Help us to remain humble by remembering at all times that You are God and we are not. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment