Sunday, December 24, 2023

Jesus Came at the Right Time

“When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.” Romans 5:6 NLT



As I set out on my run before church yesterday morning, my heart was full of joy as I meditated on the goodness of God and the Reason for the season. Before I had gotten even a half mile in though, “at just the right time” to help, I heard rustling in the ditch beside the country road I was running on. “Oh my!” I said out loud when I saw a dazed looking older dog trying to break free from the bondage he was in. Still wearing the six foot leash that was now less than one foot long after being completely tangled up in the weeds and a large piece of heavy driftwood, I could only imagine that he had wandered away and gotten stuck. As I climbed down into the ditch to began the tedious process of freeing this poor beagle who seemed weary from the fight (that might have lasted hours or even a day or two), it was apparent that the poor pup would have died without someone stepping in to save him. The leash was so twisted and intertwined into the heavy brush that, left alone, this poor dog would have died a slow and painful death. As if the dog realized this, once I broke him free and unhooked the leash to keep it from happening again, he looked up at me as if to say “thank you” before walking away. 

And you know, when it comes to saying “thank you” for being freed from the bondage of sin, a condition that we are unable to rectify on our own, we would all do well to take the time today to say “Thank You Jesus.” You see, “When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.” Do you get that? Jesus came to be born of a virgin, to walk among us in the flesh, and then to eventually die a sinner’s death on a cross so we could be set free. Now, as my good friend Pastor Dan Bassett says, “if that don’t stoke your fire for Christ, your wood’s wet!”

So let’s do more than just say “thank You” to our Savior today, let’s show our gratitude by loving others like He did… being willing to climb into any ditch, walk into any area, or even run to the ends of the earth to share the Good News with someone in need of salvation. This radical obedience and love for the Savior is the only way we’ll be ready to move “at just the right time” and lead the lost to the foot of the cross. 

Heavenly Father, thank You loving us so much that You would send your Son on a rescue mission “at just the right time” to save us. Help us to truly understand that without the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus, that we would be dead in our sins with no One to rescue us. Thank you for the Reason we celebrate Christmas today Lord. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment