Tuesday, December 12, 2023

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Prepare to Go Solo

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about another facet of winter running. This is truly a season outdoor runners either love, tolerate, or downright hate. Which means that you might see your running group getting smaller and smaller with every one degree drop in the mercury, and even smaller still if there's a wind chill involved. That being said, you might soon find yourself faced with the decision to run solo or head to the gym where you'll have some company (and some heat). As a running coach and one of those crazy runners who loves winter running and running alone, I hope you'll check out six benefits (and there are so many more that I could list) of running alone and then venture out with a smile on your face, excited about having some solo running sessions. 


1. You can get some much-needed time to yourself.

For some people (and I would even venture to say most), running may be the only time they're actually by themselves. Running alone can be a welcome escape from a hectic or stressful work or home environment. Being able to disconnect and not feel the pressure to converse with colleagues, friends, or family members can be tremendously beneficial to your mental health, especially when you choose to unplug from music and turn off your notifications so you can run without distractions. Make a conscious decision to be present in the moment and to take in all the beauty of the winter wonderland all around you. Remind yourself how good it is to be alive and how blessed you are to run in any weather!


2. The time alone encourages relaxation. 

Relaxing may be the last word anyone would associate with running but surprisingly, hitting the trails and streets can be one of the best ways to unwind. When you set out by yourself, there’s no pressure to go a certain distance or keep up with the group, leaving you to simply focus on putting one foot in front of the other, listening to each footstep as you soak up the surrounding scenery and breathe in the brisk, crisp air. With the constant stressors of daily life, quality alone time is an opportunity for a necessary mental-health break. 

3. You can learn better how to pace yourself. 

You’ve heard of our internal alarm clock attuned to circadian rhythms. Likewise, developing internal pacing as a runner is a similar concept that can yield immense results. Concern yourself with finding a pace that feels natural for you on your long runs and then pick it up a bit on your short ones. Come race day, you'll know what you're made of and know when to push and when to hold back. When you run with a group or someone else, you're more likely to go their pace which is most likely slower or faster than what you're capable of. On a side note, make it your mission to run a few miles at your race pace without looking at your watch until you're done. By learning how to discern the rate at which you're going without a GPS, you'll gain confidence on race day.... not to mention that you'll up your chances of making those positive splits and achieving a PR. 


4. You can connect with nature and even find healing. 

In a world dominated by social media, emails and news cycles, the intentional act of disconnecting is vital to your mental health and can also help in countless other ways. Pro ultra-runner Yassine Diboun, who found freedom from substance abuse through trail running, said that when he looked back on his path to recovery, it wasn’t just the running or endorphins that helped him move forward it was also how much time he was spending alone outside. “When I started running on trails, I was in Ithaca, New York,” he recalls. “That’s where I fell in love with trail running. There were these huge waterfalls, these long trails winding through the forest. I felt alive in a way that I'd never felt before.” It’s the same feeling he gets when he runs today, he says. “There have been times when I’ve been running in the forest and I’ve started crying because it was so beautiful,” he says. “I cried out of gratitude for how good my life is, for the simple things. I feel so grateful that I've found something I am passionate about. So many people don't really have passion for anything. That used to be me. All I wanted to do was party. I didn't really have any interests—I was just kind of dead inside.” 

Given his backstory, Diboun says it’s no surprise that psychologists sometimes prescribe time in nature for their patients (a practice known as ecotherapy). He says he’s personally experienced the mental health benefits of being outdoors. “Whatever issues I’m having, if I go into the wilderness, I find that when I come out I’ve forgotten what I was stressing out about.” Now the father of an 11-year-old girl, Diboun recalls an example of this from early on in parenthood. “When my daughter was a baby, she'd be crying inconsolably and I would walk outside with her into the courtyard,” he says. “There were these big trees and she would look up at them and stop crying. It was the only thing that worked.”


5. You’re less likely to push yourself through an injury.

We’ve all been on a group run when we feel a twinge here or there, but wanted to push through it to stay with the group. I know I have! When running alone, you’re more likely to listen to your body and determine whether an ache or pain is a warning sign of injury and cut the run short. As a running coach, my advice is to take two days off running and see if that ache is still there. Many times two days can be the difference between getting back to running and being sidelined for several weeks or even months. 

6. You’ll become more disciplined.

Running buddies and running groups can be excellent motivators, but doing some solo runs means you’ll be forced to develop more self-discipline (something that is extremely important if you plan on delving into long distance running or continuing to run throughout your lifetime). Setting a running schedule for yourself will undoubtedly have positive effects on other areas of your life as well. You’ll find that your improved organizational skills and discipline will help you achieve other goals unrelated to running as well as hone your mind to stay focused and to follow through on tasks that are either mundane, take a long time, or are extremely difficult. 


So there you have it friends. Running solo has a lot of benefits beyond what I've listed here. Personally, my favorite thing about running alone is the time it gives me to still my mind and meditate on the bazillion things I have to be thankful for each and every day. Run alone often enough and you'll most likely see the many benefits of it as well and find your own favorite reason for hitting the trails by yourself. Now get out there and have some fun.

Happy Running!








No comments:

Post a Comment