Sunday, September 4, 2022

Be an example of perseverance

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7 NIV


Knowing I had been called to run the 100 mile distance at the Ultrapalooza, I stepped up to the start line early Saturday morning in anticipation of what the day would hold and the reasons God had led me to sign up for the race so many months ago. And while I recognized that some of the reasons were to do the prerace prayer and to talk to and encourage all those in my path, it soon became apparent that this race was about so much more. As the humidity rose and the temperatures climbed, many of the runners either dropped out of the race altogether or dropped down to a shorter distance. This was something I debated on doing myself after completing 50 miles. “It’s super hot out here Melissa and you’re tired and have a heat rash already,” the enemy whispered into my ear. “Just quit now. No one will think less of you.” And that’s when the Holy Spirit spoke, “Melissa, the last half of this race is going to be very very hard. But I have called you to finish it so fight hard to make it to the finish line on time.” And fight hard I did. After making it to mile 60, I slowed down to a stroll to try and lower by body temperature and never did find the strength to run again. I did, however by God’s grace, find the strength to walk out the last 40 miles (which took another 15 hours) with some amazing pacers by my side to finish an hour under the cutoff time of 30 hours. And as hard as it was to do this, I was grateful that I did hoping that it would inspire other believers to press on in their calling as well, no matter how hard it gets.

And you know, when it comes to finding the inspiration to keep moving foraward, you and I would do well to heed the words of the apostle Paul who said, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith.” Paul showed by example what it meant to be a true follower of Christ. He suffered greatly, even boasting in his sufferings, but never backed down from fighting the "good fight" to win the lost to Christ, never dropped out of the race no matter how hard it got, and remained faithful until the end inspiring millions of Christians throughout history to do the same.

So remember that people are always watching you my friend. And by your words and your actions, you have the power to motivate them to continue serving Christ when it's not always easy by setting an example of what it means to fight the "good fight" like Paul did. So do whatever it takes to finish the race!

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that fighting the "good fight" to take hold of the prize will seldom be easy. Help us to follow the example of Paul who persevered in the midst of all opposition Lord so that we might be that example of perseverance and faithfulness to others. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment