Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Don't give in to fear

“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Matthew 10:28 NKJV


Expressing the shock and grief that thousands of other runners around the world are feeling after the senseless murder of 34-year-old runner Eliza Fletcher on Friday, my friend Elisha posted this before heading out for her early morning run yesterday: Eliza Fletcher was on my mind this morning as I laced up my shoes, grabbed my taser and dog and headed out for my 4 am run. I couldn't help but think of the women I personally know getting ready to head out the door for their runs as well. This isn't new to us. We know the dangers and we are vigilant to protect ourselves while doing what we love. Some will only run with others, while I find joy in running alone. I always tell my husband where I'm going and when I expect to be back. Clearly she did too. I carry weapons, I wonder if she did too. I feel pretty safe on my morning route, I wonder if she did too. I feel pretty hopeful that my legs would help me outrun someone if I needed to, I wonder if she thought that too. I know that I would fight like hell if I had to, clearly she did that too. And none of that saved her. I keep reading "when we be able to run without fear?" The answer is never!! We live in a fallen world and evil is always possible. We can't let that stop us from doing what we enjoy. I will continue to take precautions, but I will also continue to do what I love without fear. This morning I ran and I wept and I prayed for her family. Be safe out there friends and don't let fear steal your joy.

And you know, Elisha is so right. You and I will never be able to run, or do anything for that matter, without the fear of being harmed physically. That’s just the world we live in. But we must not let that fear keep us from doing what we enjoy or, more importantly, from going out and preaching the gospel to a world in desperate need of hearing it—but growing increasingly hostile to all those who present it. Which is the very reason Matthew warned us NOT to fear “those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.” Now this doesn’t mean that you and I shouldn’t arm ourselves or take the necessary precautions to avoid being hurt, but that we should fear God above all else and thus put fulfilling the Great Commission above our own desire for safety, knowing that death here means immediate life on the other side.

So do what you can to stay safe friends. Be mindful of your surroundings, carry a weapon, and trust your instincts. But whatever you do… do NOT bow down to fear and let it keep you from doing what God has called you to do. We must not and can not be cowards when it comes to the cause of Christ.

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that while there are things in this world that we should fear, we should never allow those fears to be greater than our fear of Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Cause us to fear You above all else so that we would courageously live for You today. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment