Sunday, July 18, 2021

Our labor will not be in vain

"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58 ESV


Yesterday morning before church, my young friend Amber posted a memory on Facebook from 2012 about her now 12-year-old son, Colin, that said, "VBS 9 years ago. This year he got to volunteer as a youth leader!" and then asked this question in the comment section, "Melissa Martinez…. Is that you!? Were you his teacher!!!??!" after inspecting the picture more closely. And my response as I remembered how he and his mother had completed their first 10k together the day before at our FFG Donut run was, "Oh my goodness!! Yes!!! Tears of joy!!!!" All those years ago, when I was blessed to teach her little boy (then 3) at Vacation Bible School, I could not have foreseen what this sweet child would look like as a preteen. I only knew that it was my job to plant seeds of love and faith into his life (and the lives of other children I was blessed to teach that summer), something that many other mature Christians continued to do (and will continue to do) throughout his lifetime--which is one of the reasons I know this sweet boy is still pursuing the Lord today. 

And you know, as this story shows, there are many areas in ministry where the workers, that's you and me, might never see the fruits of their labor. But the Bible is clear that we are to be "steadfast, immovable" and "always abounding in the work of the Lord" anyway, knowing that" our work, toil, and effort will not be in vain. This means that we are to joyfully do any job the Lord has called and equipped us to do praying for a harvest... but being totally content with never seeing that harvest manifest for ourselves. I will never know this side of heaven the effect I might have had on someone's life in the many years I have been a believer but I do know this... I, along with every other believer, am commanded to give my life in service to the Lord however that might look. 

So ask the Lord where it is He might want you to serve today my friend, keeping in mind that no matter what He has called you to do--whether it's teaching young kids, preaching a sermon, cooking meals for the homeless, leading a Bible study, or even greeting people as they walk in the doors of the church--it will not be done in vain. Keep planting those seeds in hopeful expectation. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that the work that we do in your Name will never be in vain. Lord please cause us to understand that although we might never see the fruits of our labors in this life, we will reap the rewards for our effort in the life to come. Give us a passion to serve with all our might God that we might make the most of our time here on this earth. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment