Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Do not get comfortable

"Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!'" Luke 12:18,19


Image result for person relaxing pic
Runner's World Magazine published an article yesterday listing nine shoes that, they say, may be the most comfortable ones you'll ever run in and where your feet will find a happy home. Comfort is king, they went on to say, because their research showed when a runner chose a shoe for its' comfort and fit, rather than its' appearance or name brand, they were less likely to get injured. How's that for a reason to get comfortable? 

And while getting comfortable in our running shoes is most assuredly a good thing. getting comfortable in our spiritual walk is not. Luke illustrated that well when he told the story of a rich man who, rather than using his wealth to help others and serve God as you and I are commanded to do, decided to build bigger barns to hoard all his "wheat and other goods" and then sit back and take it easy for years to come. He was called a fool for his actions and all he had, including his life, was taken from him that very night-the same fate that awaits all those who store things up for themselves but are not rich toward God.

So if you're honest today, would you say you've gotten comfortable too? Perhaps with keeping either your time, talents or possessions to yourself rather than using them to further the Kingdom? If so, I have good news my friend. Today is a new day and a great time to step out of your comfort zone. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that our time, talents and money are gifts from You to be used for Your glory. Help us not to hoard these up for ourselves but to use them generously and graciously in ways that we would bring others to the foot of the Cross. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Don't get comfortable - Brandon Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment