Sunday, September 23, 2018

Arranged meetings

"Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear." Philippians 1:12-14 NIV


Image result for prisoners praying pic
If you have ever prayed the prayer "use me" and meant it, you have probably found yourself in places or situations you wouldn't be in otherwise. As was the case for me. For the last three weeks (due to injury), I have been simulating my runs in a pool. And since it's very early in the morning, I am usually alone- except for when the maintenance man comes to quickly perform his daily checks. Having made only small talk with him in the time I had been there, I was on high alert when he actually sat down at one of the tables for nearly half an hour to read a letter. As he rose to leave, visibly shaken and near tears, I knew this was what I was there for and spoke up. And after listening to the man's story, I told him about a Father who loved him more than he could ever know and cared about what he was going through. So much, in fact, that he sent me to pray with him today. And then, taking his hand in mine, I began to speak, "Father God, thank you for arranging this meeting...." 

And while I would much rather have been pounding the pavement outside, I know that as a servant of the Most High, my life is not my own. Paul understood this as well. And knowing that God would put him where He needed him most, allowed himself to be used in the darkest of places. Consider this... when Paul was imprisoned, he was guarded by the infamous Praetorian Guard, the elite soldiers who guarded Caesar himself. Paul could never have gotten close enough to witness to these soldiers had the Lord not arranged it. And it was because he was "in chains" that Paul could write, "most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear." 

So if you find yourself in a situation or place that is totally out of your control today my friend, rejoice and look around. It could very well be that God is going to use you and this circumstance to "advance the gospel." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that many of the circumstances we find ourselves dreading and praying to get out of are the very ones You have orchestrated to reach the lost and hurting. Help us to stay joyful and patient in the midst of these trials that we might be used "to advance the gospel." It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I will go - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment