Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The test

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." Psalm 139:23, 24


Image result for cooper test pic
By definition, a test is a procedure intended to establish the quality, performance, or reliability of something, especially before it is taken into widespread use. And since 1968, the 12-minute run test, or Cooper Test, has been used by thousands of coaches and trainers to determine an athletes' fitness level. Quite simply, the test requires a person to run non-stop and at full-effort for 12 minutes around a track - with the amount of laps a person is able to complete accurately determining their vo2 max, or maximal oxygen consumption. The higher a person's vo2 max, the greater their cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance. This grueling test has been proven so effective that it's still being used today even though, as runner Mark Dent said, "No matter how fast you run, it won’t end sooner. You can’t escape. The 12-minute run always means 12 painful minutes."

And you know, while this test is obviously strenuous, difficult and sometimes painful, it’s the easiest way to measure an athletes’ current ability so they can improve. And isn't that the purpose of all tests? To determine where a person is so they can get better? David seemed to know that when he said, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me... Point out anything in me that offends you..." You see, as unpleasant as it might have been for David to undergo testing, he knew it was the only way to find and remove any barriers that kept him from being led “along the path of everlasting life.” 

And while I’m sure, like us, David would have preferred a life free from pain, his great love for the Lord compelled him to tenaciously seek and ask for any “procedure” that would draw him closer to Him - and for that, David will always be known as a man after God’s own heart. And shouldn’t that be the very thing that you and I strive to be known for as well? 

Heavenly Father, thank you testing us to reveal our strengths and weaknesses. Help us to welcome and actually ask to be searched that we might be convicted of  anything within us that you might find offensive - that we might let it go and allow you to lead us along the path of everlasting life. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Search me Lord - Donnie McClurkin

No comments:

Post a Comment