Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Look for ways

"If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm and eat well,” but you do not give them what the body needs, what good is it?" James 2:15,16 NET


Image result for helping homeless in winter pic

Plain and simple, running a marathon is hard. But running one, and dressing appropriately for one, in single-digit temperatures is even harder. So as I prepared for last Saturday’s 26.2 mile race by donning extra layers, I also grabbed some air-activated heat packs and tossed them into my mittens. Oh everyone should have these, I thought, (as I felt the warmth envelop my fingers) so I put a few extra packs in my pocket just in case. And as I passed a gentleman later in the race in a light coat not designed for the weather conditions, I took a double take to see that his hands were unprotected as well. They were bright red as he was alternating between blowing on them and stuffing them into his pockets. I immediately praised God for prompting me to take those extra hand warmers and stopped to share mine with this cold runner. Although he spoke very little English, he took the heat packs in his hands as I motioned for him to do and then stuck his hands in his pockets smiling back at me in sheer thankfulness. 

You know, the Bible is very clear that if you and I see a person who "is poorly clothed" or "lacks daily food", we are not to pass them by and simply say, "keep warm and eat well." No. As people who claim to put our faith in Jesus Christ, you and I are to show that faith by our actions. Because "what good is it" if we claim to love Jesus but don't show that same love to others? And why would they ever seek to know the love of the Father if they don't first see his love in us?

So today and every day, may you and I be looking for opportunities to help someone. May we be listening for and open to the Spirit's prompting to "give them what the body needs" that they might want to know where this extraordinary and unwordly love that we show comes from. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the blessing of allowing us to do good to others. Help us to recognize every opportunity in front of us and to be obedient to the Spirit's prompting to act so that we might lead others to you by our actions. Most of all Lord, may we love others with the same passion that you love us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Love with your life - Hollyn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfVetZeaxuc


No comments:

Post a Comment