Thursday, September 7, 2017

We can know

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:13

Image result for boston marathon pic

Starting at 10:00 am Monday morning, qualified runners from all around the world will be signing up to run the Boston Marathon. Sadly though, as many runners who have "qualified" based on the time standards have come to know, qualifying and registering for this iconic 26.2 mile race doesn't ensure entry. You see, the fastest runners (those who beat their qualifying time by 20 minutes or more) get first dibs on a slot, while the next fastest (those who beat the time by 10 minutes) vie for a slot and so on until all the spots are filled. So will those runners closer to their qualifying time know immediately if they were fast enough to get in?  Unfortunately for them, the answer is no... not until registration ends and the time cutoff has been determined. 

Can you imagine how frustrating it must be to wait for something that should be certain? Thankfully there is one thing that all believers can know for certain though... that they "have eternal life." The apostle John so strongly wanted there to be no doubt that our belief in Christ would grant us entry into Heaven that he wrote, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." In a world where nothing is certain, that sure is comforting to know isn't it?

And while an estimated one in six qualified runners who apply for entry won't know for a few days if they were fast enough to get in, every person who believes in Jesus can know for certain right now where they will spend eternity. And I believe that is a much more important thing to know. Wouldn't you agree?

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that is absolutely clear on what it takes for a person to receive the ultimate prize of eternal life. If there is anyone reading this who has not made the decision to follow you that today, I pray today would be the day that they would do it. That today would be the day they pray, "Lord I admit that I am a sinner. I believe that you are the Son of God and that you have the power to forgive me of my sins. I confess that you are my Savior and I will follow you all days of my life." It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I believe - Hillsong Worship








No comments:

Post a Comment