Monday, September 18, 2017

Give careful thought

"Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways." Proverbs 4:26

Image result for person thinking about junk food pic

Just as I rounded the corner and hopped back on the sidewalk that ran alongside the busy boulevard, a large dump truck passed by spilling out rows of black diesel smoke. Since I was running at a pretty good pace, you can imagine my dismay as the clean, fresh air I had been deeply inhaling was replaced by sooty pollutants in an instant. Unable to breathe well now, I slowed down to a walk until the harmful chemicals dissipated. And while I realized that I had no control over breathing in "junk" that was harmful to my body, I was grateful that I did have control over the "junk" I was allowing into my mind. 

Did you know that, according to Psychology Today, people who expose themselves to negative TV, music, video games, movies and news have shown increases in depressed mood, anxiety, and tend to be more "catastrophic" about their personal worries? Which is why following the psalmist's advice makes so much sense, "Give careful thought to the paths for your feet..". You see, if our thoughts are produced by those things we allow into our mind, we should be ever "careful" to make sure those things are good and unpolluted. And because our thoughts determine how we feel and where our feet go, being ever vigilant to guard them is crucial to staying on the right path. 

So may we "give careful thought" today to remember that junk food for our mind is no different than junk food for our body. The ill effects from consuming it might not be seen immediately but will eventually affect our mental, spiritual and physical well-being.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that so clearly gives us the warning to guide our minds from taking in those things that are not healthy for us that our feet might always lead us on the right path. May we be "steadfast" in our mission to stay unpolluted then that we might follow "in all your ways." It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I will follow you - Jesus Culture



No comments:

Post a Comment