Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Obey the prompting

"The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.“How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him." Acts 8:29-31

Image result for high five runner pic

Standing in the parking lot before the race I heard it, "Go over there and talk to that man in the gray hoodie." "Okay," I thought as I made my way over, anxious to see why I was being led to talk to a complete stranger. But after striking up a conversation and hearing how the young man was nervous about running his first marathon and uncertain if he could finish, I smiled as I realized why God had arranged this "meeting". This young man needed some encouragement and a little bit of advice. Interestingly enough, midway through the race, I saw him up ahead and was prompted to pray for him. Then, close to the end as I caught up to this young man who was now walking and struggling, I was prompted to place my hand on his shoulder and say, "You can do this. I'll be praying for you." Little did he know, I had already been praying for him-he just needed to hear it. And yes, he did cross that finish line. Isn't God good?

You know, when it comes to delivering messages of hope or helping others, the Bible is very clear that the Holy Spirit can and will use all those willing to heed the prompting, or urging, to do that very thing. Philip understood that when, upon hearing the Spirit speak, "Go to that chariot and stay near it," he ran to the carriage-arriving at just the precise moment the man inside wanted someone to tell him what the words of "Isaiah the prophet" meant. And because Philip obeyed and did as he was told, the man was baptized immediately afterward. Wow! God is indeed good. 

So today, if you're feeling the Spirit telling you to do or say something, won't you do it? Your obedience might help someone make it to the finish line or might just lead them to the foot of the Cross. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that clearly tells us that the Holy Spirit will speak to us in a variety of ways. Help us to realize the importance of walking in close step with You each and every day that we might hear his voice louder and respond obediently no matter what is asked of us or how crazy it seems. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Called me Higher - All My Sons and Daughters




No comments:

Post a Comment