Sunday, June 18, 2017

Cleansed

"Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:11


Image result for person taking shower pic


I can't recall a recent time when I was more grateful or ready for a shower than Saturday night. After helping set up for and then participating in a six-hour endurance run that morning, I had a to-do list to tackle including cleaning up after the race, before I even made it home. Between the heat, humidity, running and the activity, I was quite sure (even though I was able to change clothes) that I smelled awful as I made my way through the grocery store and then on to the next item on my list. Much later when I was finally able to wash off the grime, I couldn't help but smile at how good it felt to, once again, be physically clean. 

You know when it comes to being spiritually dirty, Paul, in his letter to the church in Corinth, wrote "Some of you were once like that." He was reminding them that before they were "made holy" and "made right with God", they had allowed worldly habits and ideas to make them unclean and separate themselves from Christ. He wanted them to remember just how good it felt to be "cleansed" that they would never want to return to those sins that had caused them to be dirty in the first place. 

I don't know about you but I remember how bad it felt before I was "cleansed" and I never want to forget it or feel that way again. So you can bet that I will rejoice daily knowing that I never have to! I have been made clean and I intend to stay that way. How about you?

Heavenly Father, thank you for your mercy and your grace. Thank you for taking even the worst of sinners like me, cleaning them up and giving them a new purpose. Help us to remember how it felt to be dirty that we might never return to those things that made us so ever again. And then may we daily rejoice in the knowledge that we have been cleansed and forever changed. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


Shake - MercyMe

No comments:

Post a Comment