Sunday, February 19, 2017

Worth the strain

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13,14

Image result for runner straining to the finish line pic

Yesterday, after running a hard 26.2 miles in El Paso, TX, I had the unique blessing of watching my son cross the finish line of his first marathon. As he accepted his well-deserved medal, the tears flowed as I recalled the images that will forever be embedded in my mind. His look of determination as his body grew increasingly tired and his unwillingness to give up as he slowed down to a walk near the end, resting only long enough to gather the energy to start once again, straining and pressing on towards the finish line with everything he had.

You know, at one point, as he expressed his fatigue, I asked the question, "How bad do you want it son?" The actions that followed certainly revealed that he indeed wanted it badly. And the Bible tells us that this attitude is the same one that you and I need to "win the prize", to live a life following Christ Jesus no matter the obstacles, hardships or mountains in our path. It's, as straining is defined, forcing (a part of one's body or oneself) to make a strenuous or unusually great effort.

And while we received a medal for our efforts yesterday, one day we will receive so much more. Will this be a hard race? You bet. God never said it would be easy but He did say it would be worth it. So, I guess the question is, "How bad to you want it?". 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that clearly tells us that there will be a prize like no other awaiting each and every believer that decides that they want it so bad that they are unwilling to give up. And thank you for your promise that, although it will be hard, you will be with us. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Eye on it - Toby Mac
Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, stadium and outdoor
At the finish line. 
Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and shoes
Celebrating with my son, Luke, who did the full and stepson, Christopher, who did the half. A very blessed day indeed. 
Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
Before the race, with my son Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment