Sunday, November 6, 2016

genuine faith

"I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you." 2 Timothy 1:5


Image result for mother holding son's hand pic

There are no words to describe what a blessing it was to run the Bass Pro Half Marathon with my son, Luke, yesterday.  This 18-year-old man, who was once my 'little boy' struggling to keep up with me, now matched me stride for stride. And throughout the period of this 13.1 mile race, I couldn't help but thank God that I had been able to pass on my love of running to him. From the time he was born, Luke has been a witness of my passion and love for the sport-the feelings that inspired him now to embrace running as well. More importantly though, I was so happy to remember that we shared the same feeling for something, or shall I say someone else, that I love even more than running... Jesus Christ. My love for the Savior, something he also witnessed throughout his life, is the very thing he now embraces. Pretty cool, huh?

Timothy, inspired by the faith that first filled his grandmother and then his mother, was also a young man that loved Jesus Christ-something Paul, in his letter to Timothy, described as "genuine faith". By the example that these women showed to him, teaching and committing their own lives to the Savior, Timothy accepted the Lord and went on to become a pastor at Ephesus and to serve as Paul's representative to several other churches making a huge impact in the world. By their actions, these ladies prepared Timothy for this very thing, to love and serve God. 

So yes may we, as parents, lead by our example. May our children see and feel our "genuine faith" and our love for Christ because, as Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "The mother's heart is the child's classroom."

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that our children are always watching what we do. Although none of us will ever be perfect parents Lord, help us to teach our children that our love for them is as unconditional as your love is for us. Oh what a great Father you are! May our love for you be so evident to our children, that our "genuine faith" will be what they always remember and strive to imitate. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Humble and kind - Tim McGraw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awzNHuGqoMc

Before the race
Finish line photo
I never dreamed,  when this was taken in 2011 (my second time running the Bass Pro Marathon), that my son would one day join me on the same course. Wow! God is indeed good!!!


- Henry Ward Be

No comments:

Post a Comment