Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The hard mile

"Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude."


Image result for family of runners pic

"What should I eat this morning Mommy? Oh, I better eat something healthy. And water... what should I do about that? Should I drink a lot? I wish I would have trained for this. I don't want to run the mile in gym today Mom!" These were the tense words spoken by my young daughter yesterday morning with rarely a breath in-between sentences and leaving me no time to answer one question before the next one came. Now to many of us running a mile may not seem like a big deal, but to this little girl it was huge. As I patiently grabbed her hands and looked her in the eye, I reminded her that I still get nervous before races  and assured her that she could do this. "But you run lots of miles and races Mom," she said. To which I replied, "Yes honey but I started off with many hard miles too."

You know just as we are all at different levels physically, we are at different levels spiritually as well. But no matter where we are in either, we are, as one body of believers and "one mind", called to be humble, sympathetic, loving and tenderhearted to one another. And that means not making light of another person's struggles or worries. That small problem that you, from years of walking with Christ, know will work itself out can be the same problem that threatens to destroy someone else not yet mature in their faith. And that one mile that you may find so easy to complete now may seem like a marathon of mountains to another person. 

Before my daughter left for school, we prayed... hard. The same type of prayer she has heard me pray with others before a long, hard race. Upon finishing, she gratefully smiled as she realized that I knew what she was feeling and was now determined to finish the thing she had dreaded just moments before. So above all else, show real concern for what someone might be facing today. Support and encourage them, resisting the urge to play down the enormity of their situation, remembering those first miles were the hardest for all of us too.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many opportunities you give us to lift one another up and to show the love of Christ. While these simple exchanges may not seem like much, help us remember that our words and actions have the power to strengthen and encourage as well as to tear down and destroy. Help us to be meek. loving and tenderhearted at all times. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

The words I would say - Sidewalk Prophets

No comments:

Post a Comment