Monday, February 9, 2015

Finish the race

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7-8



In the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, Derek Redmond, was favored to medal in the 400 meter Sprint. He had been forced to withdraw only 10 minutes before the race at the 1998 Olympics with an Achilles Tendon injury and was more determined than ever to "finish the race". Only 175 meters away from finishing, he felt a searing pain and fell down in agony. He had torn his hamstring. As the medical crew arrived, he waved them off and said, "No, there's no way I'm getting on that stretcher. I'm going to finish my race." Seconds later, his father came to his side and helped him hobble closer to the finish line where he released his hold and let his son cross it alone to "finish the race". His father was waiting there to hold him as he finished and said, "I'm the proudest father alive, I'm prouder of him than I would have been if he had won the gold medal. It took a lot of guts for him to do what he did."

It's easy to run the race well when things are going good... when the conditions are just right, when your health is strong and youth is on your side. But, what we do in the trials is what determines whether we will receive the crown. Those that quit or pack it in when it becomes too hard or uncomfortable forfeit the prize, "the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day -and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." James 1:12 gives us this promise, "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

When you feel you can't go on, remember that the finish line is close. Stay in the race, fight the good fight with all you have, keep the faith and keep pressing on. Persevere under trial and rise to the test. Like Derek Redmond, have the courage to say, that no matter what stands in your way, "I'm going to finish my race."

Heavenly Father, thank you for being with us through the trials and tribulations of our lives. Thank you for your comfort, guidance and faithfulness in the good times and the bad. When we are tempted to bow out of the race, remind us that you are there to help and, in your strength, we can finish strong and lay hold of the crown of life that you have promised to all those who love you. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

No comments:

Post a Comment