Sunday, February 15, 2015

Give me a thirst

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 42:1-2


Do you know what it's like to be thirsty? I mean really thirsty? Last Saturday, with temperatures forecast to be in the 30's, I ran a 25k dressed in tights and a long sleeved shirt. As the mercury climbed and got into the 50's, I realized I was way overdressed, really hot and intensely thirsty... thirstier in fact than I could recall being in a very long time. The road between the water stations, placed 2.5 miles apart, began to feel like a no-man's-land. Water become my main focus, my only thought and my greatest obsession. Just keep running, I thought to myself, you will get what you long for soon. Run faster, get to that oasis... run Forrest run!

Each time I drank in the cold water, I silently thanked God for quenching my thirst and providing me with the necessary hydration that I needed to go another 2.5 miles. Oh Lord, I thought, help me to run after You and Your Word like this today, tomorrow and every day for the rest of my life. Give me a thirst so great for You that I can focus on nothing else. Psalm 119:20 says, "My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times." and Psalm 119:131 says, "I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands." This is the kind of thirst I desire. This is the yearning I need to keep me running.

Isaiah 55:1 says, ""Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters;". God has prepared a place of refreshing for you and me. Won't you come and drink?

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us a thirst for you. May it be as unquenchable as our physical thirst in the driest desert. I pray that we would yearn for You so greatly that we can think of nothing else besides You. May we be consumed at all times with a longing for your laws. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org


Come to the River - Rhett Walker Band

No comments:

Post a Comment