Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dogwood Canyon 2014

“For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."  Isaiah 55:12





What a glorious day for a trail run. I love 8:00 AM race starts! Drove to the race in a mixture of fog and the sun rising over the Ozark mountains. With the mornings low of 45, it was to be a perfect day for running the Bass Pro Dogwood Canyon trail run held at Dogwood Canyon in Lampe, Mo. It's described as a 10,000 acre paradise - and is it ever!  With their motto, "Protect, Conserve, Preserve", the park is full of wildlife, waterfalls and scenery made by God himself. Amidst the changing leaves, brisk air and the ice cold, clear water crossings, there was no shortage of things to look at as the runners clamored up and down the Ozark mountains in their pursuit of a 25k or 50k medal.

As could be expected when running the Ozark "hills", the ascents were slow going and steep and the descents were a little quicker if you paid careful attention not to trip on a rock. The course was mainly trail but went through parts of the Dogwood Canyon park that were paved for bicyclists, jeep driven tours and pedestrians touring the park. The course was a great chance to see the views from the top of the mountains that you would never see any other way than by running this race. Absolutely spectacular views and scenery.

Runners would cross many of these bridges along the route.
The finishers were all given North Face hoodies upon completing the race and treated to a hot meal from Qdoba. This was a fabulous race with plenty of aid stations, smiling volunteers and some great medals. Can't wait to do it again! 

* Tendinitis has plagued me on and off since January. My right tendon flared up two weeks ago and I was very hesitant to attempt this race fearing rupturing  or severely damaging it. After much prayer, taping and worry, I cried out to God to show me His plan. As desperately  as I wanted to have the faith that I would be healed and be able to run, I kept remembering the words of Proverbs 16:9, "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps." and 2 Corinthians 6:4, "In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind." I was determined to be patient, enduring anything necessary while waiting for His plan to be revealed.

In our pursuit to glorify God, I know all too well (from personal experience) that we can sometimes lose sight of Him as the one we are working to glorify (I have done it) and instead use our gifts as a means to glorify our actions (and ourselves) instead. How I praise Him for this finish! When I woke race day morning, I immediately sought Him and when I examined the tendon to see most of the swelling and redness gone, I was humbled and ready to show what a person can accomplish through His power more than ever before. Wiping away my  tears of gratefulness, I taped the ankle while saying Thank You over and over. There were many people on the trail today that needed that same confirmation that I received, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13, and I was blessed to be a person chosen to do that. I am, once again, overwhelmed at his power and love. What a blessing to serve such an awesome God.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for your presence in my life. Thank You for your presence on the race course today, for protecting all the runners, for the glorious works of your Hands that we witnessed as we ran, and for the air in our lungs and strength in our legs. May we never take for granted what a blessing it is to serve You and what a blessing it is to have the health to run. Your creations are beautiful and we thank You for letting us be a witness to them. In your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

Running to you  - Jordan Howerton






No comments:

Post a Comment