Thursday, December 5, 2013

Matthew 28:19 (ESV)
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,


Acts 1:8 (ESV)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth

The bible is pretty clear that we,as Christians, have a responsibility to witness.  While we all do it in different ways, we all MUST do it.  I prefer to do mine on the run.  


Today's windchill was 7 degrees with spitting sleet.  This definitely required me to wear a warmer jacket than usual.  Aaaahhh... the joys of winter running.  Left me with a dilemma though.  Stay warm on my run with an appropriate jacket and not be a witness or freeze to death in the summer/fall team413 clothing I had and be a witness.  There had to be a way to do both so I just covered my running coat with a summer tank top emblazoned with the message, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Certainly not a runway winner but it works for me.

Why is this important?  I run 6-7 days a week (40+ miles weekly) in the snow, sleet, rain or heat.  I also run alongside a busy highway since I live in the country and don't have many options.  While witnessing at races is very important, I am missing out on using the other 95% of my running for something positive.  You see, I'm sold out!  Any run (or activity) not done with the purpose of serving and/or bringing praise to the Lord is worthless.  When people see me running in these conditions with scripture emblazoned on my back, it makes them wonder.  Not just why I do it but HOW!!!   The why most people will never understand but the How is simple... through Christ's strength and the power of the holy spirit.  The simple wearing of a shirt on every run regardless of the conditions has allowed me to witness to more people than I ever could doing anything else.  So YES, it is important and I will continue to do it.


  So, however you decide to witness is up to you but don't miss even one opportunity.  If you reach just one person, it makes it "worth it all".   

No comments:

Post a Comment