Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Gobbler Grind 2013

"Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:6


My new friend and me waiting for the race to start.  Temperature is 11 degrees.

The race started off the coldest I've ever ran a marathon.  Broke some records with a low of 7 that morning in Kansas City.  Hope and Laura had to be at their volunteer station meeting at 630am and my race start time was 8 am.

We had a prerace prayer in the lobby of the hotel and then drove to the start line.  The ladies I prayed with gave me a ride and even gave me hand warmers for my gloves.  What a blessing that turned out to be for sure.  I love how God finds ways to show He cares for me.  I knew it was going to be a great day and a good race.  I debated on whether I had overdressed when one of the ladies suggested that I take off my outer layer-which was my team413 coat.  I told her no and explained why I found it so important to wear the message.  She smiled at me and said she understood.  I knew I could always unzip later.  

 They had a delayed start due to the weather.  The water and gatorade was freezing and they were salting down the icy spots.  Couldn't wait to get going and generate some body heat.  It was freezing!!!


They took these pictures somewhere about mile 10.  

I genuinely love running but I love the Lord more.  The combination of the two makes for some "in the zone" running and praise and worship.  However, I sometimes zone out so much, I'm oblivious to what's around me.  I've gone miles before that I don't remember passing because I'm so enjoying God's presence.  I somehow forgot my GPS for this race and there were no mile markers anywhere.  It was the brewing of a perfect storm.  It seemed I missed the half/marathon split and ended up 4 miles short of 26.2.  Long story!!.  The course was poorly marked and the volunteers didn't have any answers.  When I realized what I had done, I was pretty upset and angry as well.  Especially at the lack of answers!  Apparently, I wasn't the only one either.  Long story short, I went around the finish line being careful not to register a time.  I finally found the director and we spoke (didn't want to ruin my witness so I held back the tears and frustration).  He was very kind and apologetic as everyone was.  I took my full marathon medal and told them to just give me a DNF or whatever they wanted to but I would finish the race on my own.  And that's what I did.  I put the medal in my pocket and continued to run around til I thought I was done.  There was a point I was so upset I started to cry... and then I laughed.  Hard.  I was set to PR at this race and God reminded me that PR is not a Personal Record but a Personal Relationship with Him.  I had that!!!   Sometimes, we all need to be reminded that what we do for Christ is important but not as important as what we do through Him.  I trust Him to guide my steps and I will go where He leads me.  I am simply a carrier of the message and know I was exactly where I was supposed to be.  It truly was a blessed day.  

I plan to do this race again next year and will be sure to bring my GPS!  It was a beautiful course and pretty flat and fast.  The hoodies they gave out were wonderful!  The free pictures were a great plus.  It was just a cold day and very hard to keep everything together.  The volunteers were cheerful and sincerely sorry for what happened.  Praying next year will be warm!!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment