Thursday, December 19, 2013

Dry Seasons

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."  Psalm 63:1


Ever find yourself in a dry place in your spiritual life?  If you're like me, it will affect your running, your attitude and the way you deal with life.

I have taken for granted that God has always been there for my day to day needs.  I trust Him and look forward to being in His presence on my daily runs, my favorite part of the day. But, for the last two weeks, I wasn't running well and I wasn't feeling His presence.  I knew that He hadn't deserted me but I wondered why He was so silent.  What lesson was there in this?  Whatever it was, I was feeling depressed.  
Yesterday, I decided I had had enough!  I was going to run and praise Him without abandon.  So, with headphones turned up and set to Toby Mac, I set off to do some speed work and hit the hills.  After an hour or so, I felt much better (at least I was pursuing the renewed relationship) but I still felt that cloud looming over me and the knowledge that my joy was not fully restored.  It was then I told the Lord that I was going to pray and worship until I could feel His presence again.  No stopping!  I was going to be a pest and keep asking Him to talk to me.   Then, at bible study later that day, Pastor made the comment that, in the dry seasons, God sometimes wants us to find Him in different ways.  That's it!!!  I had made my devotion time habitual.  Wake, coffee, run and praise, lunch and bible study...done.  Been going good for two years, why should I change?

Because God wanted to see if I still thirsted for Him!  Did I still long for Him?!!!  And, did I still believe that I am nothing without Him?  Yes, yes and yes!!!  Went to bed with a humble heart enveloped in His presence and woke up smiling and ready to run.  Did 10 miles of fast running and hills and feel rejuvenated and refreshed.  Haven't had a good run like that in a long time.  What's stopping you from the same?  If you don't know Him intimately, keep searching.  Show Him that you truly long for Him and He will restore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment