Monday, February 12, 2024

Jesus Willingly Gave His Life

“No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.’” John 10:18 NLT



In a heartbreaking story published by the BBC yesterday, it was reported that runner Kelvin Kiptum, 24, died in a car accident alongside his coach Gervais Hakizimana in his native Kenya on Sunday. He broke Eliud Kipchoge's world record last year and was set to compete at this summer's Olympics in Paris. "Kelvin was an amazingly talented athlete and had already achieved so much," Briton Farah said. Farah wasn’t the only one who thought highly of Kelvin either. Hugh Brasher, London Marathon event director, said Kiptum "had the sport of marathon running in his feet and at his feet. He was a once-in-a-generation athlete who was set to redefine the boundaries of our sport. His was a flame that burned so bright and was tragically put out. As a sport we mourn for a life so tragically cut short, a talent and a work ethos that was only starting to be appreciated and a man that we had only just started to know."

And you know, Kelvin wasn’t the only one whose life was tragically cut short. Jesus Christ, the Son of God who came in the flesh, died at the age of 33 after making an indelible mark on the world. He didn’t die in an ‘accident’ though. The Bible tells us that Jesus willingly gave up his life for us saying, “No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.” Do you get the magnitude of that? Jesus not only left His heavenly throne to walk among us so that we could ‘know’ Him, but He willingly went to the cross, scorning the shame of it, to save us from our sins, knowing there was no other way. 

So if you don’t know the One who did all this for you and for me, I encourage you to seek Him today with your whole heart my friend. I promise you, that it will be the best decision you will ever make. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for providing forgiveness of sins through the death of Jesus Christ, who lived a sinless life yet chose to die a sinner’s death so that we could have eternal life through Him. Lord, we know that we could never repay You for this ultimate sacrifice but help us to be so grateful for it that we would voluntarily devote our lives to serving You by serving others. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment