Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Keep Pursuing Excellence

“Not that I have already reached the goal or am already perfect, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12 NLT



In an article titled “Two 75-Year-Olds Set Masters Records at Chicago Marathon,” it was reported that two runners in the 75-79 age group racked up numerous accolades. Jeannie Rice, 75, broke the women’s masters world record in the marathon with a time of 3:34:32, and also racked up American records over the course of the race, including the 10K (49:14) and half marathon (1:43:09). Gene Dykes, 75, also set an American marathon masters record of 3:17:01... Rice told Runner’s World after the race that she was happy with her performance at Chicago, but she thought she would run a little faster. She said she got slightly dizzy around mile 22. “The weather was perfect, but somehow I didn’t have my best race!” she said. “I thought I’d run 5 minutes faster than what I did. But I’m looking forward to breaking my own record at my next marathon.”

And you know, this attitude that Jeannie has, always looking to be better despite a mature age or having reached a goal that most people would hang their laurels on is the same attitude that Paul had. While most people thought Paul had reached the peak of spiritual perfection, Paul declared that he would never reach “the goal” of being one hundred percent like Christ this side of heaven but would “make every effort to take hold of it” until the day He was called home. You see, becoming like Christ, as Paul knew, is not a moment we achieve, but a goal we must continually pursue. 

So strive to pursue excellence at every age my friend, especially in your spiritual life. You’ll not only be an inspiration to others but will be honoring God with your body, which is something all believers are called to do. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being a God worthy of our best efforts at every age. Remind us Lord that You are honored in excellence so that we would strive to do our best each and every day, especially in our efforts to know You and to be more like Jesus. It’s in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment