Monday, October 23, 2023

There are no Chance Meetings

“I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’” Isaiah 46:10 NIV



In a story titled “Coincidence saves Long Beach Marathon runner who suffered heart attack mid-race” aired by CBS Los Angeles yesterday, it was reported that a runner in the midst of a race was saved by pure coincidence when he collapsed on mile 11 of the Long Beach Marathon, when a heart surgeon who just happened to be walking out of a nearby restaurant at the same time. In another report it was said that the chances of a person surviving after going into cardiac arrest outside of a hospital is typically less than 10%. Which is the very reason 47-year old Tuan Pham was fortunate that a cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Ryan Chiu of Long Beach Memorial, was leaving brunch at the Museum restaurant when he saw him hit the ground. “I can’t believe the one guy, the first guy, to see me fall, to show up and give me help, was a cardiac surgeon,” Pham said. “What are the odds?”

And you know, when to comes to coincidences or remarkable concurrences of events or circumstances without apparent causal connections, the Bible is very clear that what we view as ‘chance’ meetings are actually encounters arranged by the Lord Himself, who declared “My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.” How else can you explain what happened to Tuan? You can’t… because only the One who loves us enough to number the hairs on our head could have arranged such a timely sequence of actions that led to Pham’s quick treatment and recovery. Do you just love that or what?

So the next time you have a ‘chance’ encounter with someone, ask the Lord to reveal His purpose to you. It may be that you are supposed to help this person by praying with them, witnessing to them, or just saying an encouraging word. Whatever it is, be obedient my friend. You might just be saving someone’s life. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that You work in ways that are beyond our comprehension and there’s nothing You wouldn’t do to accomplish Your purpose for our lives. Thank You for loving us that much. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment