Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Go the Distance

“Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”



In a story titled, “In Louisiana Runner Breaks Treadmill Half Marathon Record” shared by Runner’s World Magazine on Tuesday, the following was reported: For one man, going the distance for children in need meant smashing a world record. Jarrett LeBlanc, a former all-conference distance runner at McNeese State University and a five-time Southland Conference medalist, set a world record for running a half marathon on a treadmill on Sunday in Lafayette, Louisiana. LeBlanc finished with a time of 1:02:50 for the 13.1-mile run, breaking the previous record time of 1:03:08 set in 2020. Of his feat, Jarrett later said, “The record to me is pretty small. Sure, this is a good indicator of fitness, but compared to the cause, it’s minuscule,” he said in the interview. “I’m really hoping to spread overall awareness about congenital heart disease and, at the same time, raise money for the camp.”

And you know, when it comes to “going the distance,” or sticking it out until the last round as it’s known in boxing, you and I would do well to follow the example of Paul who said he doesn’t “fight like a boxer beating the air” but disciplines himself to follow the rules laid out in the Bible, intent on finishing the work God called him to do—preaching the Gospel in such a way that he would never be disqualified or deemed unworthy of the honor of fighting the good fight until the end. This is something every Christian must do. 

So do whatever it takes to finish the work God has called you to do my friend, no matter how long it takes or how difficult it might be. Work hard, preach the Truth diligently, and keep running the race with purpose until the day He calls you home. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for granting us the honor of sharing the Good News with the world. Help us to hold fast to the Truth and to handle the Word correctly so that we can win the lost to Christ without ever becoming disqualified. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment