Tuesday, July 11, 2023

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Embrace Simplicity

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about how embracing National Simplicity Day (yes it's a real day and yes it's really today) can help you reach a running goal and/or make your training more enjoyable. But first, let's talk about what National Simplicity Day is all about.


According to National Day Calendar, National Simplicity Day honors transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau. The day advocates a life of simplicity and recognizes the life of Thoreau. Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817 – May 6, 1862) lived his life as many things including an author, naturalist, philosopher, and historian. He was also known to be a tax resister, abolitionist, development critic, and surveyor. His book, Walden, is a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings. In our fast, ever-increasingly busy lifestyles, the observance encourages stepping back and looking at ways to simplify our lives. It’s an opportunity to declutter and eliminate the unnecessary burdens that weigh us down. Even taking a few moments to tune into nature helps us to refocus and find balance.

At this point, you might be thinking, "Ok, Melissa. Where are you going with this?" To answer that, I have a few questions for you first, "When's the last time you went for a run without your phone? When's the last time you ran without music or while listening to a podcast? When's the last time you went out for a run without an agenda or the need to post your stats to an app?" Last but not least, "When's the last time you got frustrated with your performance or didn't enjoy your run?" 


So I'll be honest with you. Prior to completing the Goggins Challenge at the 4x4x48 event we hosted at the beginning of the month at our local high school track, I couldn't remember the last time I ran without my phone. And while I don't post my stats anywhere or really keep track of them, I knew I wasn't making any gains and I was getting frustrated. Years of ultrarunning have allowed me to run farther than ever, something I’m very grateful for, but I was painfully aware of how slow my training miles had become. Prior to 2018, I never ran with a phone and was free from the distractions the device brought. However, when my son went away to basic training after high school I was terrified that I might miss one of the calls he was randomly allowed to make and kept my phone by my side at all times. Five years later, my phone still goes with me on my runs--something that's great for safety reasons but not for training as I find myself randomly checking emails and apps as well as sending texts and making phone calls that can wait for later (adding to the time it takes to complete my morning run).


Knowing I needed to make a change, I seized the opportunity to run without a phone (which meant no music, no texts and no phone calls) and to get back to the simplicity of running, even forgoing the run/walk intervals ultrarunners are known for, in the interest of gaining speed. I mean how much simpler can it get than running lap after lap around a track for two days, focused on getting faster with each mile? Believe it or not, it worked! Twelve rounds of four mile runs at tempo pace (with a warmup and cooldown factored in of course) did wonders! Now I'm not breaking any speed records, don't get me wrong. But I've renewed my love of running with no distractions and plan on doing speedwork similar to this several times a week from now on. 


So here's my point... there's a lot to be said for embracing the simplicity of running from time to time and pushing yourself. For ridding yourself of distractions and getting caught up in how good it feels to just put one foot in front of the other while enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of the great outdoors. And while I found the track particularly useful in doing some simple speedwork because of the cushioning, lack of traffic, and the absence of roots, ruts, rocks, and potholes, you can benefit from adding some simple running routines into your training plan wherever you are and as often as you can. 

Speaking of simple runs, here's one that I think you'll love. This is the most basic tempo run a person can do. But “basic” is just another way of saying “simple,” and we’ve already agreed that simplicity is both beautiful and beneficial so I hope you'll enjoy it.

It’s a one-hour run, broken into three 20-minute chunks:
20 minutes of easy running
20 minutes at your lactate threshold (LT) pace
20 minutes of easy running

If your runs are longer than one hour, adjust the times to make it work but keep it as simple as possible. Which doesn't mean that you have to leave your watch at home but that you’re only using it to ensure that you're staying at your desired pace. If you can, turn off your automatic updates and forego the music on these runs, concentrating on how you feel instead, all the while reminding yourself that running is a gift to be enjoyed. Speaking of gifts, your last 20 minutes of easy running is a present you give yourself for sticking with the the tempo portion of the run. Do these simple runs often enough and you'll soon find that the last 20 minutes are simply amazing and refreshing. 


So there you have it friends. Today is a great day to celebrate National Simplicity Day by heading to the track or trails with the intention of completing a run without any distractions or unnecessary gadgets. It may seem odd or even uncharacteristic at first but practice simple running often and I'm sure that you'll find it's simply the best way to, as Thoreau says, "live deliberately." 

Happy Running!




No comments:

Post a Comment