Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Rainbow is God’s Sign

“Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth.” Genesis 9:12-13 NLT



I had to smile yesterday upon checking my Facebook memories, something I like to do daily. “Wow!!!” I had written on this day in 2020. “Check out our view at aqua running tonight!! We experienced two heavy rains and two rainbows!!! These guys are troopers and kept going even in the downpours saying, “Well we can’t get any wetter.’” And while I loved the swimmers’ attitude about continuing to exercise in an outdoor pool while getting rained on (after all they really couldn’t get any wetter right?), I really loved the opportunity this natural event opened to share the true meaning of what the symbol God Himself placed in the clouds was with those at the class I was teaching. “Do you all know what the rainbow really means?” I asked them as we marveled at the colorful wonder in the sky that evening. Most said yes, but a few of them looked at me with questioning eyes. And that’s when I told them. 

And you know, believe it or not, the majority of people in our world today don’t know what the rainbow really stands for—especially now that the LGBT movement has hijacked the rainbow flag to stand for their social agenda. But in all reality, the band of color in the sky that shows up after a rainfall is the covenant between God, Noah, and all generations to come that God would never flood the earth again. You see, the world was very corrupt in Noah’s day (much like it is today) and the Lord did what He had to do to eliminate the sin that had permeated the world, giving people 120 years to repent. (That’s how long it took Noah to build the ark and load the animals.) After the flood, God made a binding agreement with Noah and his family, saying, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth.” The true meaning of the rainbow then is a remembrance of the unbreakable promise God made to man. 

So be ready and able to share the story behind the rainbow whenever an opportunity arises my friend. It will not only set the story straight but will open up the door for you to tell them about the great mercy of our God and to share the story of His Son as well—the One who came to die to save us all from the death our sins deserve. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that the rainbow is actually a symbol that You place in the sky as a sign of the Noahic Covenant; a promise to all generations to come that the earth would never be flooded again. Lord help us to be loving yet bold in sharing this absolute truth so that people would see it as it should be seen. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment