Sunday, July 31, 2022

Volunteers are priceless

“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.” 1 John 3:18 NLT


When one of the coordinators of the Show-Me State Games in Columbia, MO contacted me several weeks ago and asked if I would be willing to direct their 5k/10k event, I was beyond thrilled and immediately said, “I’d love to!” You see, if there’s one thing I love as much as running races, it’s directing them. Being a part of helping someone make it to the finish line, I sincerely believe, blesses me more than the person who takes home first place. And I knew upon meeting the many volunteers that showed up Sunday morning that I wasn’t the only one who loved helping others. All of the friendly faces that assisted with packet pickup, traffic control, and setup I came to learn had already donated their time to help staff many of the other events the SMS organization put on over the course of their two-week games. At one point, I even gave a public shout out over the bullhorn to one of the volunteers after the race was over and the finishers congregated for the Age Group awards. David was an older retired gentleman who volunteers with numerous other organizations. Grinning sheepishly at my kind words, he leaned over and said softly, “I don’t like recognition. I just like to help.” Smiling I said, “I totally understand that, but I wanted you to know that your service is greatly appreciated by many.”

And you know, when it comes to serving others, the Bible tells us that above mere words, our actions show others that we are sons and daughters of the King. Which is the very reason, John said, "Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.” In other words, let's prove to the world that we are different, that we are Christ's followers, by the way we treat others... the very things volunteers do. You see, volunteers, as David so appropriately said, don't do what they do for recognition. These amazing men and women freely give of their time, talents, and resources because they genuinely care about others. Do you just love that or what? 

So in the words of John Wesley, "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” You'll be blessed by doing so. I promise. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that our lives were meant to be lived in service to You by serving others and loving them the way You do. Lord, compel us to look for opportunities to freely give of our time, talents and resources that we might cause those on the receiving side to seek You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment