Sunday, December 15, 2019

Remember to give thanks

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17 NIV



Rhea Bullos, an 11-year-old runner from the Philippines, won three gold medals in the 400 meter, the 800 meter and the 1,500 meter race competitions at the Iloilo Sports Council Meet last week. And while that's quite an impressive feat in itself, consider that Rhea, who was unable to afford a pair of shoes, ran those races while wearing makeshift shoes she fashioned out of bandages. Quite creative, this young runner used common band-aids to protect her ankles and the soles of her feet from being rubbed raw by the track, even adding her own Nike logo with a marker. As you can imagine, this little girl’s story went viral leading Jeff Cariaso, head coach of the Alaska Aces, a professional basketball team in her home country to reach out saying, "Bullos has potential on her own, but with the right footwear she will now have the tools to be that much better."

And you know, as I read this story, I thought about the many pairs of running shoes I had in my closet and the numerous pairs each person in my own household possessed and prayed, "Lord if I have not given thanks for the things you have given me, I'm doing so now. If I have taken even one of the "good and perfect" gifts you have blessed me with for granted, please forgive me." And while this story definitely makes a person misty-eyed, it's a great reminder of how blessed we truly are. So blessed that we should be thanking “the Father of the heavenly lights” each and every day. 

So be grateful for what you have my friend knowing that some of the most basic things you and I take for granted other people are praying for. And with a heart filled with gratitude, let us look for ways to help others in need that they might come to seek and know the Giver of all good things. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for every good and perfect gift you have blessed us with. Help us to never take for granted even the smallest of things you have given us but to acknowledge You and as the Giver of them.  And when we don't have the words to properly thank You Lord, please listen to our hearts. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment