Sunday, April 1, 2018

Avoid hypocrisy

"You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:“ ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." Matthew 15:7,8


Image result for wear mask pic
For the third Saturday in a row, I had the blessing of teaching a group of runners in a Bible-based 12-week couch to 5k program. And as is usual when I'm running or coaching, my hair was pulled up in a ponytail, I had on very little makeup and was clad in active wear and running shoes. Apparently, I must have looked very different the next day as I spotted a class member after Sunday service and asked him if he had enjoyed the workout. Staring blankly at me, it took him several seconds to realize who I was. Smiling, he then said, "Wow. I really didn't recognize you until you spoke. You really look different dressed up for church." "Oh my," I laughed. "I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing." 

And you know, while it's not a "bad thing" to look like two different people outwardly based on a change of clothes or hairstyle, it is a "bad thing", as Jesus told the scribes and the Pharisees, to be two different people entirely. You see, Jesus called the religious leaders hypocrites, or people who claimed to have moral standards or beliefs to which their behavior did not conform, because they honored Him with their words but didn’t honor Him with their hearts. In other words, they claimed to love Jesus “with their lips” because it made them look "good" in front of others, but their conduct eventually showed their claims to be a lie. 

And while you and I will never be perfect, our actions, if we continually seek His kingdom and righteousness first, will show that we are true believers.  And then, no matter what we are wearing, whether it's Sunday morning at church or Monday morning at work, people will recognize us because of it and we can avoid being labeled as hypocrites. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that people are watching us, especially our families. Help us to live lives of integrity so that others would see that, because of You, our lives have been changed. And upon seeing the change in us, may they seek to know You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

My victory - Passion


No comments:

Post a Comment