Monday, April 2, 2018

Have your weapon ready

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." John 14:26 ESV


Image result for dog attacking runner pic
Between the praise music in my ears and the solitude of the gravel road I was running on yesterday morning, you could say that I was definitely lost in worship and oblivious to anything around me. And since my guard was totally down, I was completely taken by surprise when a large dog began racing out of a yard menacingly at me, teeth bared. As I struggled to quickly take my weapon out from the zipped compartment it was stored in, the dog's owner screamed repeatedly to call the canine back just feet from where I was standing. "Why were you not ready for that?" I asked myself as my heart continued to race. "A weapon is no good if it's not ready to be used." 

And you know, dogs are not the only thing that can harm us when we let our guard down. The Bible clearly tells us that the devil is always out looking for someone he can devour. Thankfully though, God has given us the greatest weapon in our fight against him... the sword of the Spirit, or the Word of God. But guess what? We can't use it if we don't know it. You see, it's only when we know the Word that the Holy Spirit can bring it to our remembrance and we can use it to protect ourselves and fight off the devil and his evil schemes. 

Think of it this way, when you are tempted to sin or the devil pummels you with lies, you are already in the middle of the battle. A full-fledged struggle in which you need to immediately take hold of your weapon and fight. There may be no time to spare until you can get to your phone or Bible to look up the scripture you need. That's why you need to read the Word and know the Word my friend - so you can immediately use it to win the daily battles the devil wages. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that the devil is always roaming about looking for people to devour. Help us to realize that we are in a spiritual battle each and every day and that we need to know how to use the greatest weapon you have given us. Help us to realize the importance of reading your Word daily that we might not be caught off guard when the enemy attacks. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Your Words - Third Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zaaiFp4RSM

No comments:

Post a Comment