Monday, May 18, 2015

Joplin Memorial Half 2015

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10:27-28


On May 22, 2011 an F-5 tornado tore through Joplin destroying many homes, businesses, and claiming 161 lives. The Joplin Memorial Half Marathon was designed as a way to remember the lost and to help rebuild what was taken away. A portion of the proceeds from this race each year goes into the memorial and rebuilding efforts. That's certainly not the only reason to run the race though. From start to finish, this is one fantastic event.

The course has a few hills but is actually quite flat by Missouri standards. With ample aid stations, friendly volunteers and many extras, there was nothing left to think about but getting to mile 13.1 and celebrating at the post race party with entertainment and the best fire baked pizza on the face of the earth. It was truly a race that, God willing, I will do again and again (as said everyone else I spoke to).

For the first and last mile of the Joplin Memorial Half course, there are 161 banners on display with the name of each victim of the twister listed. In the excitement of the race, I didn't really notice the ones in the first mile. It seems I was, like many of the other runners around me, too intent on getting up to pace quickly, checking my garmin and moving up in the pack. However, as the race went on and there were more reminders of the reason this competition was formed, I found myself ever more thankful for a God that knows me by name just as he knew every person who died on that fateful day in Joplin.

John 10:14 says, "I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me" and Psalm 139:2 tells us that, "You know when I sit and when I rise". In the sea of runners that surrounded me, I couldn't possibly even remember each of of their names much less what they do. But God knows them all, each one by name. What a comforting thought that was as I ran the last mile, paying special attention this time to each banner and each name representing a life lost. But to those who knew Jesus also representing a new life gained.

The 161 names were a tragic reminder that each day is a blessing, today is a gift and tomorrow is not guaranteed. No, there is not one thing about life that is certain but this... to all those that know and follow Christ, there is eternal life waiting for them. Do you know Him?

Heavenly Father, thank you for the ability to run the good race. You have blessed us beyond measure with the gift of another day. I pray that if there is one that does not know you or whether they can claim the prize of eternal life, that they would turn to you today, listen for your voice and run to you as fast as they can. Thank you for knowing each of our names and for loving us so much that you would care to know when we sit and when we rise. May we live our lives knowing that there might not be a tomorrow. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

He knows my name - Tommy Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment