Thursday, September 21, 2023

Press On to Perfection

"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me." Philippians 3:12 NLT



As reported by Runner’s World yesterday, it was a record-breaking attempt 30 years in the making, but over the weekend, Matt Carpenter’s long-standing record for the fastest ascent up Pikes Peak was finally broken by Swiss runner RĂ©mi Bonnet. The 28-year-old navigated the famous 14,115 peak in just 2:00:20, breaking Carpenter’s record of 2:01:06 from the 1993 Pikes Peak Marathon.Bonnet set the record at this year’s Pikes Peak Ascent on September 16. The 13.3 mile race set off in Manitou Springs, Colorado, with a grueling incline of 11 percent over the 7,800 feet to the summit... “I’m really pleased to have beaten this record! People thought it was impossible, but I did it, and I’m really proud to show who the world’s best climber is,” Bonnet told Run247. “Now I need to come back and go under the 2-hour barrier!” Wow! Bonnet didn’t waste much time focused on his current success before looking to improve on it, did he?

And you know, Paul was much like Bonnet in that, although he may have appeared to be someone who had reached the pinnacle of success, spiritually speaking of course, he knew there was always room for improvement. This was something Paul made clear when he said, “I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.” You see, Paul knew that he would never achieve perfect spiritual excellence this side of heaven and so would need to keep striving. 

So let us develop the same attitude that Paul had my friend and continually aim for spiritual perfection until the day we enter heaven; remembering that it’s a lifelong process that will require us to stay focused on the finish line.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we will never reach spiritual perfection this side of heaven. Please cause that knowledge to keep us humble Lord and constantly seeking to know you more through Bible study, prayer, fellowship, and meditation. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment