Sunday, September 24, 2023

Follow the Example

“And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.”John 13:14-15 NLT



After crossing the finish line of the Ultrapalooza 100k late Saturday night, I couldn’t wait to take off my shoes and socks. Having neglected to wear gaiters to keep the sand and rocks out, I had been accumulating dust and dirt for 62 miles along the Flint Hills Trail I had been running on. So after happily accepting the buckle my efforts had gained me, I headed to the changing room, fresh clothes and sliders in hand. That’s when I heard the voice of a young woman, “Would you like a foot massage? I’m providing them for free.” “Oh man would I ever!” I responded. Using baby wipes, I cleaned up as best as I could and then went out and sat down for the massage. “I’m so sorry that my feet are still dirty,” I said to her as she sat at my feet in the darkness with the time clock dimly illuminating the scene. “I tried to clean them as good as I could,” I told her. “That’s okay,” she said as she smiled, took out her own wipes and began to wash the rest of the grime off my feet before gently rubbing them down and then moving on to work out the knots in my calves. “You must be a Christian,” I said to her as I took it all in. “I am,” she replied as we both grinned at our shared love for the Savior. 

And you know, when it comes to serving others in such a meek and modest way that the world would see that we are followers of Jesus, our Savior modeled the example that we are to follow. During the Last Supper, Jesus rose and did what only the lowliest of servants do… He washed the feet of the disciples. Do you get that? The King of the world, who came not to be served but to serve, stooped down to display the pure, humble and sacrificial love every believer should show to others. 

So in our pursuit to win the lost to Christ, let us follow the example of Jesus my friend. We may not have the opportunity to wash someone’s feet, but we do have opportunities each and every day (if we pay attention) to serve others in such a way that shows the love of the Savior to a world in desperate need of seeing it. Let us take advantage of them. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the example to follow of what it means to be a servant. Help us to see and create opportunities to be Your hands and feet that others might seek the One who inspires this sacrificial love. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment