Wednesday, February 22, 2023

We must Shine like Stars

“Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.”Philippians 2:14-15 NLT



In an article subtitled “ “I had no idea that the running world was so welcoming.’ published Tuesday, 38-year old Anna Humes shared her story: I first became curious about running when my friends and I were doing virtual 5Ks in 2021. We mostly walked, but I became more curious about in-person races and was motivated to walk and jog when I could. I completed my first in-person race in March 2022, and then knew I wanted to continue this running thing. I was scrolling on Instagram and discovered that my local running company, Tri-State Running Company, was hosting a Couch to 5K program. I drug my husband Josh and another great friend along to check it out. The Couch to 5K program helped build my stamina so that I could run longer. I was able to complete my first 5K nonstop for the first time during an Independence Day race in July 2022. I have since completed several more 5Ks, with the goal of gathering as much race bling as possible! Running has changed my life because it’s something I never thought I would do.”

Sadly the same attitude that Humes once had towards running is shared by a lot of lost people in our world today. They look at Christians and the way they live and declare “That’s something I never want to do.” Why? Because so many believers don’t have the joy that should be the hallmark of the Christian life. Instead they grumble and complain the same way the world does. Which is the very reason Paul said, “Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you.” After further instruction Paul summed up the way believers ought to be living… “shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.” In other words, we should be so joyful and set apart that the world knows we are children of God. 

So if we are ever to win people to the foot of the Cross, we must be set apart my friend. We must live clean and innocent lives marked by the fruits of the Spirit so that we would spark the curiosity of those around us and draw them into ‘something’ they can’t wait to do… give their lives to Jesus and be welcomed into the family of believers. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are to be like Jesus in all that we do. We must be so set apart in attitude, speech, and action that people will know that we are different. Help us to shine like stars in this dark world Lord so that the lost would seek the One who fills us with His light. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment