Thursday, January 5, 2023

Pursue Growth

“Count it all joy, my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.” James 1:2-3 ESV


Knowing firsthand the mental fortitude it takes to complete a 100 mile race in the great outdoors, I was impressed when I came across my friend David’s post about completing one inside on the dreaded ‘dreadmill.’ “Look what came in the mail,” he wrote. “Now I have 2 of them. In 2019 I said I would never do it again. However, in December 2022, even though I was overweight and undertrained, I decided to do it again. It hurt more this time. Yay me. It’s funny to see the reactions of people when they hear of us doing things like this. Some say, “That’s awesome.” Others, “That’s stupid!” And still others, “That’s awesome and stupid!” Yes. I agree. Every time I run 100 or more miles, I come to the point where I say, “This is so stupid!” And usually, I just keep putting one stupid foot in front of the other. In all seriousness, there is growth in doing hard things. It doesn’t have to be running, but find something that challenges you - something that scares you - something that you’ll have to work harder than you’ve ever had to before - and go for it!” 

And you know, when it comes to spiritual growth, the Bible clearly tells us that God’s ultimate purpose for us is to grow more and more into the image of His Son—something that only happens when we are continually made to “do hard things.” Namely, when we are repeatedly forced to meet or encounter "trials of many kinds.” You see, in order for us to be able to “count it all joy” when troubles come our way, you and I must learn or come to “know” how truly valuable testing and tribulations are in producing and growing a steadfast or a firm and unwavering faith within us… the type of faith that sets us apart as true followers of Jesus Christ and has the power to lead the lost to Him. 

So rejoice when you encounter trials my friend and hold fast and firm to your faith. While this will most certainly cause unbelievers to question your sanity as they did David’s, they will inevitably be drawn to the One in whom they see we have placed our absolute and complete trust and confidence in. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the tests and trials that come our way. Please remind us that these troubles are priceless opportunities for our faith to grow. Help us to trust You in all situations Lord so that our trust in You would grow to be completely unwavering and true and so that we can smile in the midst of doing and enduring hard things. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment