Tuesday, January 31, 2023

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Have Alternate Plans in Place

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about the obvious. Winter weather is wreaking havoc on a lot of our workouts. In fact, this is what I wrote to one of the groups I coach as I was unable to travel outside my home due to the ice that plagued the Ozarks Monday. "As I finish up my workout I had a thought I wanted to share. Many times we fail because we only have a Plan A and when that plan falls through we give up. Friends… make a Plan B, C, and D!! Know what you’ll do if plan A falls through so you won’t be tempted to give up. For instance, today is gym day. Can’t drive due to the ice. Can’t run outside due to the ice. Did the recumbent bike for 90 minutes, a few free weights and core exercises. I had a plan in place!! Sound off…. What are your alternative plans? If you don’t have any, what can you do make them?
*purchased my commercial quality bike off marketplace for $100 alternate plans don't have to be pricey."


And it seems that I wasn't the only one who had a contingency plan in place. Check out the photo Bass Pro runner Janet took Monday morning. When the ice prevented her and her husband (also a Bass Pro Fitness Series participant) from hitting the streets or driving to the gym, they immediately turned to their Plan B with Allan posting this, "It was a pretty crappy weather day, so I did my workouts indoors. Before going to work Janet Baughman Cibert and I rode the stationary bikes. When I got home I ran 6 miles on the treadmill, walked another one mile, did some rowing and abdominal workout. I watched track and field on the television and listened to music while working out." I'd say the two of them did very well with their Plan B, wouldn’t you? And with a bit of preparation and research you can too. 

On a side note, Allan shared another thing he does to ensure that he gets in a workout or some extra steps, "I have a membership for the YMCA and Planet Fitness where I use when I’m in Springfield (he lives about 50 miles away). I always pack a gym bag and keep it in my car. Sometimes I have enough time to get in a workout between appointments, so I’ll take the opportunity.”


So if you're lucky enough to already be a member of a gym or have a gym set up in your home, count your blessings. But if you don't, what's stopping you from doing that? If it's space or money, consider these home exercises that can be done with items in your home remembering that cardio isn't the only workout runners need. Flexibility and strength training workouts will make you a better runner all around. And if you want a little more variety, you'll want to log onto one or more of the 20 Best YouTube workouts according to Good Housekeeping. 


Speaking of Bass Pro couples that had a Plan B and utilized it, check out what Bass Pro Marathon pacer Jody Rhodes had to say about the gym experience she had Monday with her husband Roy. 

Musings from today..
It iced here overnight so we had a lazy day inside until we decided we needed to go to the gym...
Half mile from the house-
Me- oops I forgot my earbuds
Husband - rolled eyes turns around and retrieves earbuds..
Me- five miles from the house
Ummm I left my flatiron plugged in..
(Heavy side eye from husband)
Husband - turns around yet again
Me - runs in the house handles it and I'm ready now 
Husband - starting the 10 mile journey to the gym once again 
Me -half mile from the gym
I wonder what he would say if I just sat in the truck while he worked out?"

I couldn't do that to him 
So I ran my 5 miles on the treadmill.....
I'm sure he'll roll his eyes at me at least one more time before we get home 


So there you have it friends. I don't know about you but Jody's story sure had me laughing. Which brings me to the last point. Whenever your plans are wrecked by weather or anything else, it pays to have a sense of humor. There are so many things in life we can't control and learning to laugh and look at the bright side will help us to keep those "things" into perspective and immediately go into Plan B mode. And if Plan B doesn't work out, keep chuckling and remember that there's 25 other letters in the alphabet. Keep pressing on and don't give up until one of those plans work. 

Happy Running!



No comments:

Post a Comment