Thursday, February 24, 2022

Stay within the herd

"And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." Hebrews 10:25 NLT


As I slipped my ice cleats onto my running shoes to head out the door early yesterday morning, my heart was giddy at the prospect of running alone on the snow packed gravel roads near my house, even more so knowing that the recent wintry mix would allow me to work from home upon my return. "Oh Lord," I thought to myself as I breathed in deep and heard the crunch of the frozen ice crystals beneath my feet. "There’s so much happening in our world right now. Inflation is at an all time high. Our country is in an unprecedented moral decline. Crime is rampant. Our borders are unsecured. And wars are breaking out around the globe. Everything that you said must happen before your return is seemingly happening before our eyes. Please use this run to still my heart and to calm my fears." And sure enough, He did... by giving me a reminder that I'm not alone. You see, when storms come in, cows always gather into groups which give them the safety, security, and warmth they need to weather any disturbances of the atmosphere. I've seen it on countless occasions in the more than 20 years I’ve been running country roads. "I get it Lord," I said smiling as I looked at them again yesterday. "I'm not alone. I have my church family to lean on." 

And you know, there's a reason the writer of Hebrews urges us to "not neglect our meeting together, as some people do" but to "encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." You see, when you and I continually meet together, we form tight-knit family bonds so when the storms of life press in and threaten our safety and security, we can gather together in groups to lift one another up and spur each other on to continue running the race in the face of adversity, difficulties and distress. Something that is becoming more and more important as we see the things Jesus said must happen prior to the day of his return happening. 

So let "meeting together" with our church family be one of our highest priorities my friend. Let us not forsake it at any cost knowing that being in the safety and security of  'the herd' will allow us to weather the storms that most undoubtedly are coming our way. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the signs that will indicate Your return is near. Lord help us to understand these times and to lock arms with our brothers and sisters to not only survive them but to thrive during them. Help us to stand united as a body of believers so that we can stand up for Truth and influence the lost to seek You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment