Wednesday, October 23, 2013

When you're scared to run-Dogwood Canyon

Psalm 34[a][b]

Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelek, who drove him away, and he left.

I will extol the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.



Completed Dogwood Canyon 50K Sunday, October 20th.  Actually was 32.03 miles according to my GPS but who's counting after 31?  I will admit that I am afraid of heights and that I'm also having some vision changes that impair my hand/eye coordination and my ability to react as quickly as I used to.  I sometimes get so freaked out about it that I'm almost scared to do trail runs as much as I'd like.  This was one of them.  There were many obstacles, hills and rocks along this course, the worst being a drop off I had to slide down. Rather than letting fear stop me, I prayed OUT LOUD!  And kept praying until I had gotten to the bottom.  Then I praised OUT LOUD! 
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.

Just a reminder that there's not one mountain or valley that the Lord will not get me through if I only trust.  What a great promise that is! 

The course was definitely challenging and very damaging to the quads with all the downhills.  After the 25k break off point where the runners doing the shorter distance finished, the trail became quite lonely.  And, this was what I was waiting for.  Alone time with my Savior. 
I will extol the Lord at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

I honestly don't know if I would run ultras if I wasn't a Christian.  I sometimes wonder what people that don't know Christ can possibly think about or do for that long of a time period alone.  And where do they draw their strength?  Why is a medal so important to them?  To me, it serves as a testimony to what God has done in my life, nothing more or less.  So much to ponder when you're running for 7 hours in the woods. 

By the end of the race, about mile 30, I was so enjoying spending time with the Lord, I was almost sad to see it ending.  About that time, the bass pro guy who rides the trails in his SUV came by to see how I was doing.  I smiled and told him what a beautiful trail it was and a God given day for sure.  He responded by telling me that I was glowing.  Wow!  Did the absolute joy I felt on the inside show on the outside?  Apparently so. 
Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.

 Then this was our bible study verse.  Wooohhh!  I'm still sore from this race but I am ready for Sunday's marathon at Rock and Roll St. Louis.  I am 100% sure that His strength will get me through and just as sure that I will praise Him every step of the way and give Him glory.  Met several people along this race and I pray I was a blessing to them.  I know my job is to simply plant a seed.  God will send someone else to water it. 
 Glorify the Lord with me;
    let us exalt his name together.


                Lord, let your praise forever be on my lips.  

 Dressed as runaway brides for this one!!  Managed to keep the veil and garter on the whole way.  Love how this strikes up conversations and brings attention to the message that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." 
But more importantly, I can do NOTHNG without Christ and I am NOTHING apart from Him!!!!  Better calm myself down now, LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment