Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Rockbridge Revenge 25k-9/28/13

Race day began with a 4:30 alarm.  Girls got to my house at 5:15 am ready for coffee.  I met Sandra for the first time who rode with Kelly.  This was to be her first ever race.  Nothing like starting off with a challenging 25k trail race.  I knew she would either love it or leave it after something like this.  I so admired her determination to try it. I later found out that Sandra had a disorder that would eventually leave her wheelchair bound. Her right arm and hand had already lost all feeling. She told me that she wanted to do "all she can until she can't."  I've found myself thinking of that mantra frequently since then and am reminded that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". 

This course proved tough with 100 foot drop-offs with maybe 12 inches between the trail and the cliff's edge.  Quite scary.  The single track was varied.  Very rocky in spots and definitely single track the whole route.  I am deathly afraid of heights and was almost paralyzed with fear running by the drop-offs.  I had to stay in constant prayer to keep going.  I had to stay focused!  At one point, I was taking deep breaths and mentally saying, "breathing in your grace, breathing out your praise."  I gave praise after every small victory of keeping my feet moving. 

Even while paying attention, I got snagged on a curved small stump which managed to rip off my toenail and hurl me to the ground.  Kelly fell right after me on the same stump!  We brushed it off, laughing to keep from crying, and then marked the stump with rocks so no one else would get tripped up.  Wooh!  Was I sore the next day.  Overall, loved the course!!!  Kelly and I finished in 3hours 9 minutes and Laura and Sandra finished in 4:12.   Sandra ended up loving it and plans to run with us again!  Guess she's as crazy as us.  She had bought her first TEAM413 shirt that morning, and found, like us, that witnessing gave you power!!!




Posing before the race with Laura Murietta, Kelly Scarborough and Sandra Ortiz


Kelly managed to snap this picture after everyone realized we were lost and we turned around
 

Found someone to take our pic after finishing.  What a great day!  Busiest race schedule ever is coming up. 4 marathons and an ultra marathon in the next 5 weeks.  God has proven His faithfulness to me and, in the words of Sandra, I will do all I can until I can't.  Forever striving to share Gods love and give Him praise!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment