Monday, April 1, 2013

Forrest Gump Challenge Marathon 3/30/2013






















This was a very challenging and hilly course.  It started out cold and got colder and rained (and rained).  Aid stations were 4 miles apart requiring us to carry our own hydration bottles and mixing powdered gatorade into them while maintaining pace.  Also had to carry spibelts as there were no gels or food at the aid stations.  This all sounds crazy but added to the experience.  It was actually nice to run without all the crowds and get back to some "rocky" style endurance.  A steady intake of gatorade and Roctane gels kept my energy levels up and I found myself getting lost in worship and thanking God for all His amazing blessings and creations.  

The clouds covered us all day making for ideal running weather.  Absolutely perfect conditions, although most would have done without the rain.  I happen to love running in the rain and the harder it came down, the more praise I sent up thanking the Father for the ability and strength to conquer 26.2 miles of hills!  Elle Shumney got a half marathon PR time of 1:35.  I got my second best marathon time of 3:42:29 winning the overall female division.  I have never done this before.  Thank God for small races!  Laura Murrieta got a PR of 5:35 and Kelly Scarborough PRd at 4 hours and some seconds.  We all were feeling extremely blessed and humbled that we could be used to spread "his word".  Not only to other racers but to the passing cars.  The race route took us on the shoulder of a major Branson highway where 100s  of cars passed by.  A very rewarding and grace filled day.  The kids came and added to our joy by running the last bit of Lauras marathon with her and joining us in prayer and worship after.  God is good and worthy to be praised.  

Next week is the Go St. Louis marathon (running Sunday), then the TEAM413 1/2 marathon in Birmingham.     A week off and then the Country Music Marathon in Nashville.   Looks to be a busy month for this chapter of TEAM413.  Can't think of a better way to spend the month.  Praying my body heals quickly for Sunday's marathon.  Expecting my time to be less than desirable as I've never run two marathons within 8 days.  But, that is not the reason I do it anymore.  Your will be done Lord and I will cross the finish line because "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment